Photos by: Keith Weidner ©
Christ DeLong United Church of Christ dates its history to 1759, when two acres of land were deeded to Reformed Church worshippers by Peter and Eva Elizabeth DeLong. After the earliest structures, the church was constructed, and in 1859 the Reformed congregation welcomed area Lutherans to share the building. However, a spark from a nearby barn fire ignited the roof in 1900 and the church building was destroyed by fast-moving flames. While the Lutherans moved on to build their own building and later merged with another nearby congregation, Christ DeLong Reformed rebuilt on the original site. That building, shown above, is the building still in use to this day. The cornerstone was placed in 1901.The church took on the name United Church of Christ when the Evangelical Reformed Church and Christian Congregational Church merged in 1957.
The building where Bowers Art and Glass is located (accross from the Bowers Hotel) has a rich history. It was originally a Creamery, and is still referred to as the Creamery. In 1946 a very successful battery company, East Penn Manufacturing, began there. Deka's thriving business soon out grew the Creamery and it then became a Post Office. Today Bowers Art and Glass is located on this historic site. The founder of East Penn Manufacturing, Deka Batteries, DeLight E. Breidegam Jr. says, "The building has good karma."
Most of the beautiful Victoria homes, on Old Bowers Road were owner by railroad officials. Prior to the opening of the railroad, Edward M. Clymer, President of the East Pennsylvania Railroad; Colonel James Moore, contractor; George D. Stitzel, director; John McManus, director; and Evelyn Lyons, Chief Engineer took an inspection trip over the rail line. On this trip they decided to name the stations located along the railroad. These five gentlemen are credited with renaming or naming many of the towns along the East Pennsylvania Railroad: "Solomon’s Temple" became Temple, Blandtown became Blandon, Krappestsedel (Crowtown) or Coxtown was renamed Fleetwood in memory of a beautiful town and resort in England, Bowers remained unchanged, Haas’ Summit to Topton, Shamrock was also named by John McManus, Emmaus remained unchanged.
Photography by: Keith Weidner ©
James Weaver has been farming since 1974, on this farm since 1978. Jim’s father purchased this farm. The Weaver family goes back to "Little George Weaver" in the 1500s, who was a farmer and a weaver. He lived in southeastern Switzerland, on the west bank of Lake Zurich. In 1717, the Weavers immigrated to Lancaster County and they've been here ever since. James Weaver is a nationally renowned expert on heirloom vegetables and especially hot peppers of all types and stripes. He’s also an Old Order Mennonite, which translates to an almost Amish simplicity: no electricity in the home, no automobiles, and an eighth-grade education. We admire Jim Weaver, not just because of his amazing achievements, but also because we think he’s the happiest guy we know. If you see him, be sure to ask about the peppers; you’re sure to learn something. Meadow View farm is located about ¼ mile north of the Bowers Hotel, on Old Bowers Road.
1/8 mile North of the Bowers Hotel, on Old Bowers Road, is a miniature horse farm (above) and Martin's Woodworking Shop (right).
Every September, the Bill Delong Memorial Park (above) hosts the annual Chile Pepper Food Festival (left). The park also plays host to a antique tractor show, Lions Club auction and music events.
The Christ DeLong United Church cemetery (R) is the final resting place for soldiers dating back to the Revolutionary War. Throughout the years several ghost sightings have occurred. Famed ghost writer Charlie J. Adams III has hosted ghost walks at the cemetery.